Old 07-27-22, 08:43 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by jtruest
The pain is left hamstring, left lower back, and left groin/hip flexor. I get a bit of relief while stretching/yoga but it doesn't last and I wake up in the morning with the tightness. It's chronic so riding makes it worse but I feel it all day.
Asymmetric issues happen to many riders simply because we tend to favor use of one side of our appendages over the other side.

This is something that can be resolved with focused training on your pedaling technique. In your case, consciously try to raise effort driving the pedals with your right legs or conversely, reduce the effort on your left legs.

Another thing you can do is AVOID pulling (lifting) the pedals on the upstroke. With so many leg, back, and even saddle complaints I heard from riders, most of them are either riding with the saddle too high or they're pulling hard on the upstroke.

You may "pull" BUT with only enough force to unload the upstroke pedal. I suppose the best way to practice it is switch to using flat pedals without using any foot retention/straps. Our legs are not well adapted to pulling or flexion nor as strong and efficient in flexion as does extension due to millions of years of evolution and adaptation to running (as opposed to cycling with clipless pedals, since the technology did not exist millions of years ago)