View Single Post
Old 07-30-22, 04:13 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 2,314 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Sounds resourceful, but I've never heard of anybody doing that successfully. It's difficult enough to remove these 2-prong freewheels. The Park FR-2 is only $12 (plus tax, unless you're lucky enough to live in NH, DE, MT, AK, or OR).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19478047132...YAAOSwBIJh9XLO
Back in the day, before I worked in bike shops, I used a flat file as a SunTour Perfect FW remover. Removed the file handle, slid the tang into where the axle had been and engaged the FW's slots with the ends of the file. I did use a wood bench vise. One time this worked, the second time the file broke. This was among the early learning moments of my doing this stuff.

It is VERY important to have the remover's dogs (those tabs) fit and be held i the FW really well. Always secure the tool against the FW with the QR or axle nut. Only crack loose the initial tightness bond and stop. Loosen/remove the Q or nut and continue removing the FW. Andy