View Single Post
Old 08-04-22, 07:18 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Care to elaborate? What lines does using an outfitter avoid? Does avoiding lines mean staying in different locations, eating in a different venue, and so on or just having them schlep your gear? I am not entirely clear on what services are provided by the tour organizers vs the outfitters.

the mechanics of the ride are this:

1. You put all your camping stuff in one bag that is under 50 lbs (yes they weigh it)
2. Every morning, you wake up, pack your stuff into the bag, carry the bag to a truck
3. The truck drives to your destination
4. You reach the destination, pick up your bag, pitch your tent, take a shower, explore the town you're in, sleep, wake up and pack your bag again
5. repeat for 7 days

The trick to success is:
1. Don't pack Your bag too heavy
2. Find the best possible camp site that is closest to the trucks.
3. Get on the road early. 5:30-6AM to avoid lines to the truck
4. Finish early to find best possible campsite and to avoid long lines for a shower

Benefits without outfitter:
1. Save Money
2. The organizers get the central campsite closest to showers and the pool or high school showers
3. The town shuttle bus is guaranteed to have a stop at the central camping

The best benefit for me was freedom. I could find any campsite anywhere I chose to, I did not have to patronize with the same people in an outfitters group