View Single Post
Old 10-10-23, 09:55 AM
Coah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mountain bike stability?

Question: Trying to figure out why i feel rock solid /stable on the my e-mountain bike but my acoustic mountain bike feels unstable as hell. Even on slight grade gravel the acoustic tire is spinning out and feels like it wants to slide out the sides. on my ebike and i feel rock solid and stable.

I want to rotate in a non-ebike and also get into some longer rides that my ebike can't make, but what the heck. I test road the stumpjumper and the salsa cut-throat and those seemed to feel more stable but I didn't test them on gravel. Is it possible I just don't like the top fuel. What attributes do you think would influence the stability other than the weight. Would less kobby tires help?

I should also mention i have clip ins on the Trek which i now believe was moronic for my skill level but I have a road bike background.

Backstory:
Hey i'm a 36 year old dad, with only casual experience mountain biking but I live outside Boulder, Co, and have plenty of local trails I'd like to be able to do. The trails i want are more cross country touring (green rating) rolling hills and some badlands traversing. I'm not of fan of ripping downhill.

Currently i have a Trek top fuel Mountain bike from 2020. Forget the options level but i spent about 4600 on it. ~24 lbs - has 2.4 inch maxum knobby tires

I also have a ebike : Cannondale neo tesoro X speed which is built on a mountain bike frame. 58 lbs - has 2.4inch hybrid city tires (Big bens)