Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
After some close calls yesterday, I am seriously considering a loop video camera for my bars to record the license plate of any driver that hits me and/or does me bodily harm. I don’t want a fancy GoPro and have no desire to post on YouTube or social media. Ideally said device might also have a rear-facing camera so encounters from behind can be recorded in their entirety.

One close call yesterday that motivates this was not mine but a friend’s. We were on the last climb of the day and the road was totally straight. A big black pickup with big side mirrors buzzed us. I was near the white line but my friend was in the middle of the lane. Truck passed us way too close at very high speed and from my vantage point came a few inches from hitting the back of his head with passenger side mirror. There was no reason for such a fast and close pass as there was no oncoming traffic. Driver was either careless or a menace, maybe both.

Any suggestions on a budget camera to record my demise so my family knows whom to blame??
For this purpose, wouldn't rear-facing be more important?