Old 10-23-20, 06:19 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
The older I get the more I appreciate extra cogs between the same 11-13T small and 28-32T big cogs. Smaller increments between shifts, less tiring, easier to stay in the sweet spot. Even my 8 speed 12-32 cassette has one awkward jump in the middle of the cog range that feels a bit abrupt.

This summer the local REI was blowing out some parts, especially Shimano, so I paid something like $8 each for a couple of 9-speed chains (I don't have anything 9-speed atm, but things can change), and three BB-UN55's in various sizes for around $8 each. Not sure why they were deeply discounting bike parts during a pandemic induced shortage, but I was happy to buy 'em.

I have some 10-speed components for another build. The DA cassette is 11-25, which wouldn't be my first choice, but it came off a TT/tri-bike with cracked frame cannibalized for the components. I'll use it for one particular build just for chasing PRs and KOMs (yeah, that'll never happen) on good days when the legs are strong. But for most rides I'd prefer a 28T or larger cog for loafing up climbs.
Likes For canklecat: