Old 10-09-22, 01:37 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 607 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by mental8y123
They have vbrake extender adapters that allow for this very thing. They also make vbrakes with extra long adjustment. Again going to a 700c or 27er is not a problem.
But if you go for a bigger wheel, the brake track will be further *up*, so you'd need to shorten the brake.

I have actually found a custom wheel manufacturer that make a 26 inch carbon wheel with both rim and disc brake capabilities. The company is called lightbicycle and they will build basically anything you want. The total weight on the wheelset is only 1250grams. And I can get them for only $650.
How much is the actual bike worth? Because I'd be stunned if (a) you could pay that much for a 26er or (b) that you couldn't get a much nicer entire 27.5/29er for $650.

Sticking carbon wheels on an old mountain bike for path use just seems pointless. You're not going to be gaining much in comfort because you're not doing anything rough, and you're not going to be going much faster because the rest of the bike is still an old mtb.

Personally I'd just stick whatever wheel you can find that's the right size, preferably a lightly uses aluminium one, and then go ride.