Old 01-15-17, 12:17 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by subzerobiker
So I am thinking of building a first MTB, a first bike, and i am really ignorant...
Buying a complete bike, whether new or used, is typically a lot less expensive than buying parts to build a comparable one up from scratch. And you don't have to worry about parts compatibility since it's all been figured out for you.

I'd strongly suggest you buy a complete bike, even if it's not as nice as your 'dream bike' as a starter. Learn what you like and dislike, learn what sizes and fits work for you, learn how to wrench on it, etc. After getting experience, you may find that your real dream bike isn't what you originally thought it was.

...(just ordered a book from amazon, Zinn and the art of MTB repair, something like that)...
Good thinking. Whether you use online resources or a book, reading up and learning is a good thing.

...have what is probably a stupid simple question to answer: so as I look at MTB frames on ebay, I am wondering do I have to look for some special size of the holes in the frame where the bearing for the crankshaft/pedals will assemble, and also where the steering tube will go in? Or is this kind of a "universal fit" thing, where all frames pretty much have the same size holes for attached components?
There are many different current and past standards for both bottom brackets and head tubes/headsets. (And dropout/hub spacing, and wheel size, and brake mounts, and seatpost diameters, and...)

...Same question for a MTB fork. Will pretty much all forks fit in pretty much all frames? or does the O.D. (outside diameter) of a fork need to be matched to the I.D. (inside diameter) of that hole in the frame?
They're not universal fit. The diameter has to be correct, the steerer tube length has to be sufficient, and they have to be the right type (e.g. threaded vs. threadless).