View Single Post
Old 12-03-18, 08:36 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
not to hijack, but, reminds me of my 1st winter commuting season. I swore to a colleague at work that despite all the gearing up I was doing to bike commute, I was NOT going to buy studded tires. that just seemed too outrageously extreme to me. then one morning, I managed to get out of my condo complex, onto the roadway which begins with a decent down hill section. out of nowhere I felt the slightest indication of invisible ice & realized what I just rode over. that weird sensation in the pit of your stomach that you don't have traction. I stayed upright. decided immediately to stop where I could, & turn around, so I could drive in. as I got back to my walkway, as I was getting off the bike, as my foot hit the ground it slid but I stayed upright, but got an exception groin stretch. ordered studded tires without any hesitation. surprised I got as far as I did before realizing the potential peril awaiting me. I could have slid under a passing car, etc