Old 10-13-21, 02:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
In my observation, the divvy ebikes aren't super common yet so I haven't seen that many. The ones I have seen I would generalize as inattentive not crazy.
Originally Posted by 63rickert
From the traffic lane is where all drop offs happen in that neighborhood. There are normally zero open parking spots, designated loading zones will be private property and guarded. For example the beer truck pulls up to the tavern. Tavern has no loading zone. Tavern has been there since 1880s. Politicians and celebrities drink at that bar. The beer truck needs half an hour to deliver. So two lanes plus parking for traffic volume that would justify four traffic lanes becomes intermittent one way in both directions with no one directing traffic. And this is normal. This is frequent. The beer truck is hardly the only one making deliveries.

The upshot for cyclists is that it is genuinely difficult to ride there. The choices are be slow and careful or have just lots of skill and lots of street smarts and still expect to be delayed, to be frustrated, to have many close calls. E-bikes that do 20mph piloted by devil may care riders are part of the mix. So are electric skateboards, those monowheel rigs, scooters, anything. They are all packed into a tight space and there are no rules. This is a neighborhood that by tradition breaks all rules.

There is no way to make that place safe for cyclists. Non possible. Not happening.

In response to various other posters, yes, traffic in Chicago will at times proceed down the wrong side of the road. Vehicles are seen with plywood windshields and you will see same vehicle repeatedly, do not expect that police get that vehicle off the street. Yes, black cars drive around with no functional lights at night. Possibly the prize, or at least weirdest I can recall quickly, goes to the car with no window glass, layers of fogged thick plastic sheeting wrapped around top of car, driving 40mph on a residential street at dusk, steering by bouncing off parked cars on either side of street. Saw the same car next morning at 6 a.m., four miles south, pointed in other direction. Fire department had just finished extinguishing it.

There are some who pay no attention and just sail on. Good for them. When you see someone passing while you are riding 20mph and they are on a brakeless fixie and texting it’s a tossup do you admire their skill or do you decide the whole world is mad.

So can we put yous guys down for the "sharrows aren't gonna fix everything"?

OK, that's two of you telling me Chicago is a cyclist hellscape. I'm going to defer to the local knowledge.