Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1365 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Killed the Bowman Brain market.
I thought my TI52 was the cat’s meow.
Sine, cosine and tangent.

My son had to have a graphing calculator in high school.

I think there’s an app for that now.

I remember the FAA computer in the mid-80’s was about the size of a rolling suitcase. Sort of a dot matrix printer for flight strips.

My coop job in college used an AT286, then a 386, and we sent our documents to be printed in ASCII, or something. We saved them on big floppies.

We had “portable” Compaqs that had 2 halves that came apart. About 35 lbs.

If I remember, my first Windows was on something like 22 diskettes.

Later, wanting to know more, I picked up a Tandy 1000 at a yard sale, and then bought a Gateway in 1996 for over $3000. 3G hard drive and a 17” monitor that had to be 45 lbs.
RT,
Well, you certainly were uptown with the TI-52, I wanted one but it was out of reach for me at the time. I remember pooling our money when the SR-10 came out and I had to wait for the Christmas sale when the price was reduced to a whopping $110.00 which at the time still put it out of reach for many. We were probably the first to think about a group-buy in reverse. It was still thought to be high .
I still liked using my slide rule on occasion along with the trusty no. 2 pencils.
We still have an Apple with that tiny10" screen....carrying case and all. it weighed a ton, talk about portability!
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors