Old 02-05-15, 05:43 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dunderhi
I'm a rider who has returned after decades of being away from the sport and I see a sport that has taken an very technical approach to training. Periodization? Power meters? Ketonics? This is all new to me.
Most of the old school people who denigrate the newer technical aspects of the sport don't understand them. It's like taking a rotary dial phone away and handing them an iPhone.

You've assumed everyone isn't having fun (or as much as they could) or progresses faster using the new tools, and you've decided that people don't need them unless they are Cat 1, and that it's "nonsense". It's admittedly new to you, yet you've decided you know enough to pass judgement.

Your judgement certainly flies in the face of my personal experience (see below), of most of the athletes I coach, and of many of the people I race with. Not all, but plenty enough.

Originally Posted by dunderhi
People ending up dead? That sounds a bit extreme in response to eat well, sleep well, ride hard, and have some fun.
I know of two new riders who have died in the past few years. Go to any local crit and count the ambulance rides. It's 100% sport because it can cost you 100%. We take way too casual of an approach with new racers compared to most sports with similar risks. Probably 30% of what we should be doing. Another math topic for another time.

I did/do mentoring at local races. Half the guys in Cat 5 races have their helmet straps hanging around their collar. Most of them don't have power meters, diet, or training plans. Or 12 lb bikes. They think ketone is a punk band. They pin their numbers on upside yet are supposed to figure out what "ride hard" means. They have a wealth of vague/bad advice though.

Making the blanket assumption that any of the new paradigm gets in the way of learning how to race is also wrong. Old school folks did just as much stupid stuff without the modern distractions. And I know a ton of old school folks who burned out or went slow on your "ride hard" program. I know a lot of folks who do the same today. Because it's amorphous. Just like "eat well" or "avoid processed foods". Water is processed. So is pasta, wine, coffee, oatmeal and a bunch of other stuff.

The devil, like in many things, is in the details. And if you think people can solve simple problems, check this out. My friend runs a cardiac rehab unit. His quote: "Everyone tells me they eat well"

FWIW I started racing in 2004. 44 year old cat 5. Used all the technology I could find, hired a coach, Etc. I was a cat 1 by 2008. To date:

Race Total 555
Win Total 141
Podium Totals 244
Top Ten totals 379
State Champ 17
State Medals 32
Out of State Champ 3
Natl Champ 3
National Medals 6
National Records 1
Course records 1

This includes stage races, TT's, track, RR's, crits, and even the odd MTB race. Won state titles in all those disciplines. Won two cyclocross races (not proud to admit that). Most of this was done on 6-10 hours of specific training a week and a mediocre sprint.

You know what? Crushing souls is fun. A lot of fun. Certainly more fun than being blown out the back. I even won $3k one weekend.

If I added on stuff my athletes have done there would be a lot more good stuff in there. I work with a diverse group and they are all pretty happy with what they are getting out of the "nonsense". But that's them.

Lest folks think I'm demanding everyone should have 3 SRM's (a fact I'm not especially proud of), a coach, a body fat analyzer, an oxygen concentrator, and a wind tunnel, I'm not. Whatever floats your boat. If you like the technical aspects embrace them.

If dealing with the technical stuff isn't fun, then don't do it. Same with following a training plan. Same with diet. I had pizza and a bottle of wine last night.

Just don't tell me what sinks your boat won't float mine and very effective tools are "nonsense".

Last edited by Racer Ex; 02-05-15 at 06:55 PM.