View Single Post
Old 03-18-21, 12:42 PM
pottjar34

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
I can't imagine how that happened - people much larger than you can safely ride any bike, except maybe the most lightweight or fragile racing bike designed for people half our size, and even those you can get on and ride around carefully without things spontaneously exploding. I was up close to 300# in the past and regularly rode a road racing bike with 23mm wide tires. I remember one time I rode to the pet food store and came back home with 40# of dog food on my back, and the lightweight racing bike with narrow tires remained unscathed.

I eventually found I liked slightly wider tires (like 32 or 35mm) but none of those narrow tires was ever damaged simply from me sitting on the bike.

If both your tires 'popped' when you got on then something else was wrong. And if you don't figure out what went wrong with those tires, it's likely to happen again.

It can't hurt to upgrade your tires or wheels, although the wheel mounting standards and spacings are changing so (if you have a bike that is a few years old) the longer you wait the less options you will have.
Most bike shops around me are still closed due to Covid. So, I’ll need to order online. If I specified what wheels were on the bike now, would that help others like yourself to suggest some good viable upgrades?