Old 08-16-21, 04:17 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
When I put my Schwinn Cruiser together back in around 1980, I worked at a bike shop and was able to try out BMX handlebars, Schwinn 7881 handlebars and others. They did not have the feel that I was looking for. I went to a motorcycle dealer down the street from the bike shop and they had these Superbike handlebars. They felt good, they had a low rise so I was able to lean forward and get more weight on the front end for better handling. And they fit into a BMX stem. One of the things that also liked about them is how wide they are. But that caused problems in the garage. I ended up taking an inch off each end. I kind of wish I could add that inch back on. Trade-offs. The other trade-off, being that they are made for motorcycles, so the wall thickness is heavier. On a bike like mine, you don't notice the weight. You do notice how solid they feel.

More recently, I picked up an Electra Cruiser and put BMX handlebars on it. For me, again, I didn't like having my hands up so high with the "Sit up and beg" posture. I ended up selling the Electra with traditional cruiser bars on it. I wasn't a fan of them either. I will admit that they make perfect sense if you need to hold on to a surfboard, or coffee, with one arm while using the other to steer. With wrap around cruiser bars there is no weight on your hands.

These handlebars are still available:

Superbike Handlebars

The price isn't too bad, considering that these are motorcycle handlebars. And available in chrome.

Last edited by Velo Mule; 08-16-21 at 04:29 PM.
Likes For Velo Mule: