Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by slowpacer
If you like the Fairfax you can ask Marin the max tire width it can accept and swap tires. If you don't mind a steel frame and a little weight the Marin Muirwoods is a great heavy duty city bike but i don't know how steel frame would fare in Totonto's salty roads with snow and slush. It comes stock with 42mm tires and i think it can accept 2" wide tires easily if not wider. I swapped mine with 700x43 Panaracer SS tires and couldn't be happier.
Then there is the next level up - Muirwoods RC with 650B tires. That's great bike to consider

https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2021-muirwoods-rc

I think any hybrid with tire clearance for a 700x38 tire and a carbon fork would fit the bill for you.

My Cannondale Quick 1 with carbon fork blades currently has 700x35 tires and it handle potholes and crummy streets in Iowa very well. I was close to trying 38 and probably have clearance. It is a light and nimble bike that's fun to ride on mixed surfaces included singletrack, gravel, paved trails, and surface streets. I'd call it a Swiss Army knife. That being said, I do have an old Specialized Hardrock that I used for the more challenging singletrack rides with my daughter that's sporting some 2.25" tires to make up for the lack of suspension...

While a bit more money, the Quick 3 is worth considering with an upgrade to 38mm larger tires. Essentially the same bike as the Quick 1 with lower level components. I'm sure the LBS would work to determine if 38mm tires would work.

The Quick CX 3 might be an option for you - 40mm tires and suspension fork.The CX 2 would get you better components.

The Trek FX was also on the radar when I got the option to purchase the Quick 1 from a friend. The FX3 fits your price range.

The Trek Dual Sport 3 looks like a solid option that's similar to the CX 3. It also has a suspension fork and 40mm tires as marketed.

The Specialized Crossroads 3 is in the same family as the Quick 3 and FX 3 - ships with 38mm tires and has a carbon fork. The Sirrus X 2/3 has 42mm tires.

Last edited by Trav1s; 06-07-22 at 04:43 AM.