Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...also, I am not a big fan of Biopace ovalized chainrings. The big rings are not too bad, roughly equivalent to round rings. but when you get down small enough ( I don't recall what a 42 Biopace feels like to ride, but I use a small one as the granny ring on a triple here), there's a definite flat spot, that makes it harder for me to maintain cadence. I'm told that eventually you get used to that, but I never did. Chainrings to fit your Shimano crank are readily available all over the place, and it should have a 130 BCD. So you might experiment with that.
Personally I was a big fan of biopace when using flat pedals. They felt ridiculous when using strap in pedals tho. I had to flip them around to the standard oval crank configuration (more teeth in the strongest part of your stroke) for it to feel decent.

When using pedal straps. I can get away with circular cranks. Ill prefer an oval ring when using flats. Using oval rings with the strap ins works pretty fantastic for me, although if I had crank arms in my preferred size (180mm-182.5mm) I think I wouldnt go oval.