View Single Post
Old 06-23-22, 11:51 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 300 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
That is one difference, but there are way too many differences between groups and generations of said groups to break it down to number of gears/speeds.

it's complicated, but in general the higher "up" the line, the quality and cost go up.
Thanks. That's the kind of thing I'm trying to figure out. Despite what some of the snobbish posters here are saying, I did go to the Shimano site first. And reading it, there is very little difference described between Sora, Claris and Tiagra. As pointed out, the biggest difference, or at least most notable, seems to be the number of speeds.

But I guess the real problem, at least for me, is that I rarely buy new. So that is a whole different issue when comparing Sora of 2010 to today's products (Oh! There's another one of those issues my betters didn't even consider!!! )
Originally Posted by prj71
Unfortunately that is too common these days. I run into the same thing on fishing forums and fishing facebook groups I belong to. Nobody wants to the research anymore. They want to be spoonfed.

One simple google search that took less than 30 seconds yielded this. Not sure why the OP couldn't have done the same.

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buy...-need-to-know/
Then you wouldn't have anything to complain about, now would you? Part of the reason I make posts is because this is aninteractive forum. The sharing of knowledge and ideas. You think I'm the only one now or in the future that's going to have these questions?
Not just that, but I'm asking for personal experiences. Not just marketing schtick. Something a couple of posters here hasn't picked up on. (ya, ya, I know. Preposition. Get over it.)
Originally Posted by Koyote
I got tired of responding to students' questions with, "Have you looked for that information in the syllabus?" So now I'm retired, and have more time to ride. Win-win.
Oh, God! You were a teacher??? That explains a lot.