3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
He has some bizarre ideas, as outlined in that article, but his method of setting seat height involves none of the bizarre ideas, and his seat height method is quite sound. There is no reason to disregard his sound ideas just because he has others that are whacky to say the least. If your seat height is too high, for you, not based on some calculation or angle, but instead based on your own personal physiology and flexibility, then you will have issues, and you will drop to one side to compensate. This will cause you to have problems on one side, and can also lead to back problems, and hip issues. I had both of those. A seat that is too high is also a cause of saddle sores. I had that too. After I got my seat height correct, for me, I no longer had pain, and have not had a saddle sore since, despite long days with no padded shorts on tour, days up to 70 miles long, day after day.

You can ignore the advice if you aren't having issues, But if someone is having issues, especially sit bone pain on one side only, indicative of favoring one side by dropping to one side, then perhaps you could learn something. If you do not like Steve Hogg, you could listen to bikefitjames on Instagram, as he agrees with what I am saying about seat height, and has none of Hogg's bizarre ideas.
...seat height is also often noted in the case of people who describe "perineal issues" as a transitory phenomenon. It creates a situation where you are more likely to slide forward on the saddle, supporting more of your body weight in a place the bicycle saddle was not designed to mesh well with your anatomy. This is why saddle cutouts seem to work well for so many people. They remover entirely some parts of the saddle that you don't want pushing on your perineum anyway.

Last edited by 3alarmer; 12-05-22 at 04:21 PM.