View Single Post
Old 02-04-23, 01:35 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
I've gone both ways. Enve 7.8's on DT180's (ultimate aero at OEM weight) v/s 957 gram Stans Grail CB7's, & Berd spokes laced to Extralite hubs (ultimate weight at box section, non-aero OEM shape)...What changes more than anything from one extreme to another is the feel of the bike.

Yeah, some super heavy OEM package with garbage OEM rubber & thorn resistant tubes is gonna roll like dookie & no one is going to dispute that. But it's very much worth noting that it's the rubber more than the rims. Garbage tires are a drag. Literally.

I'm thoroughly convinced that rim weight or aero (in isolation) is hardly important from a strictly performance perspective for the speeds & distances average enthusiasts tend to ride. Not that either is a non-factor or is unimportant. It's just that neither is as important as the industry hype would lead you to believe.

For performance: Good high quality tires & the lowest possible rolling resistance will be the most significant factors no matter the rim or wheelset weight.
For feel: It's hard to beat a nice light weight wheelset to make the bike feel like you can make it dance.
Fortunatly you can have both with the 1500gram wheelset.

I'm not saying you wouldn't benefit from a deep section rims. On the contrary: Deep section aero rims are cool AF. I'm only cautioning you against the placebo effect & tempering expectations of miraculous performance based on one wheelset vs any other. They're cool. But if you are not laser mind focused on all TT, all the time, their biggest benefit may be appearances & group identity signaling moreso than clock time on a segment. Realistically speaking Barometric pressure & wind direction/speed, or how you hold the handlebars, or one kind of shoe cover vs another or clothing choice on a given day will have a far more significant effect on supposed aero benefits than rim shape/depth.

The lowest, low hanging fruit is good tires, of appropriate width at an appropriate pressure, run tubeless. You can then feel good about installing them on whatever wheels suit your budget.

I'd get the light wheels.

Last edited by base2; 02-04-23 at 02:16 AM.