View Single Post
Old 02-04-23, 01:02 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Neither choice. I learned that it's a waste to compromise -- you should shop around to get wheels that are deep, light, and wide.

At my lightest riding weight of 61kg I bought 1.5kg Hunt Aero Light Disc wheels to replace my 2kg Giant OEM wheels. The improved PoE made more of a difference to ride quality than dropping the weight. Sure, the Hunts felt lighter, but if anything using them slowed down most of my rides because while everyone talks about how lighter wheels accelerate faster, they forget that lighter wheels also decelerate faster. When I upgraded to a 50mm/56mm Light Bicycle wheelset, I finally realized what a meaningful wheel upgrade felt like. Lighter than my Hunts so no penalty for climbing, wicked maintainable speed on flat terrain. I absolutely hate being on shallow rims on my current rain bike, where I don't even bother with the Hunts as the OEM DT Swiss wheels are only slightly heavier but much wider and stabler.
Likes For surak: