Old 03-08-23, 11:03 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
We have the Kuat Sherpa 2.0 bike rack. Great rack. No complaints about the rack.

I am though concerned with the bike a) getting stone chips and/or b) getting dirty. Especially if it start raining while we are in transit. I'd like to put a bike cover of the bike when the bike is on the rack.

I've come across velosock which seems to do the job. But man. Pricey as all get out. Does anyone have any experience with Velosock? Or can you recommend something a little more (or a lot more) affordable?

Thank you.
We’ve used Velosock for thousands of miles and they work great. We typically only put them on if we see we will be driving in rain. They go on and off quickly.

I learned the lesson the hard way after driving up I-70 in colorado in the rain. There had been construction and there was concrete dust in the water that got driven under pressure into the drive train of two bikes while driving at speed. I spent the next day disassembling the drivetrains of both bikes so we could ride for the week. I still had to replace the chains and some bearings when we got home. And I lost a day of riding on a 5 day trip.

This doesn’t happen with the covers. They aren’t waterproof but the water stream never gets to the bikes and it is never under pressure. The material acts like a filter too. Bikes stay clean and largely dry.

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Keep in mind that a cover might block the automobile's tail lights.
I’ve made up an attachment for the back of my rack that has an LED light bar with a cable that plugs into my trailer hitch connection. I’d recommend doing the same unless you have a single bike with no cover. Two bikes with no cover largely hide taillights or at least make them a lot less prominent.