Old 12-11-21, 06:10 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by WilliamK1974
Hello everyone,

It was sometime in 2007 that I bought a good new MTB and decided to maybe go a little overkill on security and bought an OnGuard Brute 5000 standard shackle U-Lock with a cable for the front wheel. It's probably the heaviest lock I've ever bought.

A couple of years ago, I misplaced the key but couldn't make myself scrap the lock because I kept thinking that the key would re-appear. Well, I found the key today, and am quite glad to still have the lock. The downside to this is that I only have the one main key with the LED in it. The spare keys are probably still around somewhere, but I don't know where they are.

OnGuard still makes a lock called the Brute, and it looks like it's a pretty heavy spec'd device. But the current model number is in the 8000 range. This lock is over ten years old.

I don't know the statistics for bike theft in my area, but this area is a high-crime area when it comes to property crimes. I'm not sure if the local PD or sheriff's office tracks bike theft as an individual crime.

Is this lock still dependable? I'm sure it's better than no lock at all, and a quick-moving thief will be more interested in something more easily stolen, but has this lock fallen into the ranks of that Krypto lock that can be defeated with a BIC pen barrel?

Thank you,
-William
Lock picking lawyer couldn't cut the current model, was able to pick it, but doesn't think a bike thief is likely to be able to:

I don't know if anyone tests older versions.
Likes For livedarklions: