Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Viich
The thing about used markets is that other than high-end, it's pretty local. Most people aren't willing to put the trust in on shipping unless a bike is something really special (and your bike is a nice one, but not that), so it only matters what someone local to you is willing to pay.

Bring it to Ottawa and you can probably get $1100-$1500 CAD in the summer, assuming that there still isn't any new-bike inventory in that price range then.

I've lived in places where that $300 is probably way more realistic.
Yes it's rather funny how that works.

A couple of years ago we were looking for a bike for my wife. On CL we found quite a few things in the $1-200 range and picked one up that was nicely priced if not the exact fit needed. It was good for finding out whether it was going to get use and later on we purchased another used bike of a very similar type and build quality from a shop for $300. (It was an aluminum hybrid/mtb type). That was supposed to get us some free service and perk from that shop. Super conveniently located right on the paths we were riding at the time...and closed a month or two after.
Of no doubt road bikes lose value hard when you are on the owner/seller side. I honestly have no doubt that the same shop that offered the 300 would have more than tripled that once clean and on the floor. In my own assessment of the current situation the biggest thing hurting what resale could be is the swap to disk brakes. So many people may not even consider an "old fashioned" caliper brake bike.