Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
If we include the most basic and budget bikes, then sure, but only because its cheaper. Not better or even equally good. Cant imagine any half decent road or gravel bike with mechanical discs in a few years, just like hydro have replaced mechanical in mtbs.
Not really interested in beating the dead hydro-vs-mech horse. I am specifically referring to the assertion that they are no longer going to be available in the future (I assume that is what you meant by "going the way of the Dodo", since that means extinct)

Regarding MTB... On stock bikes your point is generally (but not always) true. However, you can still find them on mid to high end custom builds, as well as fat bikes. And it is not just because they are cheaper. Some people prefer to run them. There are a boatload of threads arguing why, but suffice to say that enough people prefer them that they are not going to stop making them as you suggest.

And so what if they are used simply due to cost? Is there some reason to believe that in the future we will no longer need less expensive bike parts?

Fwiw, my 2019 Surly Wednesday came with mechs.

Last edited by Kapusta; 05-13-19 at 01:02 PM.