Old 10-21-21, 12:49 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4401 Post(s)
Liked 4,849 Times in 3,001 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
The real question is, can a more accurate PM on the market make a weekend athlete any better than a less accurate PM. I'm referring to weekend athletes, the people in this discussion. I doubt it. To this end, the discussion and dissection of PM... probably doesn't mean much for weekenders than say a pro pursuit cyclists. They should really stop pushing weekenders into buying PMs and into thinking that PMs will somehow enable them to do something that requires genetic blessing. No PM is gonna overcome a genetic deficit.
For me it's quite important that my bike PM correlates well with my indoor trainer PM. Fortunately they are always within a couple of percent and both are consistent. They could both be reading power in units of chicken-power for all I care. I find both PMs massively useful for both training and events and you would probably class me as a "weekender". The only bike I don't have a PM on is my mtb, as I don't really think it would be a lot of use for the casual trail riding I do on it. But on my road bike a PM really helps me to pace long Sportives and mountain climbs etc. I'm not sure anyone thinks a PM will enable them to do something that requires "genetic blessing" as you put it!