Old 06-19-22, 08:55 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
I plan to ride Going to the Sun at the beginning of the second week of July. In my mind, that's plenty of time for the snow to melt. Am I daydreaming?

[I also plan to ride Yellowstone sometime in August - looks like Mammoth Falls might be closed and possibly other sections of the park. Firsthand observations appreciated]
I would expect it to be clear by then, but who knows? More precip is expected for that area this week.

Road crews typically work Monday through Thursday between 6 am and 4 pm MDT.

There is approximately 1.5-2' of new settled snow at 6250' on the road and much more expected in the avalanche start zones above GTSR. Much of this new snow is expected to avalanche over the next few days due to the dramatic warm up and sunshine, with large amounts of avalanche debris being deposited on the road between Road Camp and Siyeh Bend. This late storm delayed progress on clearing GTSR and plow crews should return to higher elevations on Tuesday.

When crews are delayed at higher elevations, they are typically found at lower elevations clearing rocks, working on guard rails, etc.

As of last week, West Side crews re-cleared the snow that slid at Triple Arches over Memorial Day weekend and cleared almost to Rim Rocks.

East Side crews cleared up to No Stump Point and will be working toward the East Tunnel.
Also the Chief Mountain border crossing is closed indefinitely.

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/directions.h