Old 06-23-22, 05:04 PM
Tiny_Valkyrie

Bikes: Custom 2020 MaHall bikeworks gravel machine, 2021 Tumbleweed Prospector, 2019 Niner Air9 RDO, 2017 Norco Tactic, 1969 Raleigh Sports, 2020 Surly Troll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...FWIW, Raleigh recycled the name "Record Ace" a few times, and I have no idea (prior to your pictures you intend to post) what the 1979 version was. At least one of them was pretty nice, with a Reynolds 531 frame, but I think that was much earlier than 1979. The Raleigh Sports it the Raleigh Sports.

I rode a series of them around town in D.C., Minneapolis, and Sacramento back when they were ubiquitous in thrift stores, because everyone wanted a ten speed. There's a spot out at the landfill here off Kiefer Blvd, where they used to toss all the ones they got into a big pile, and then grade dirt over them every couple of years. That was where I got all of my hub repair parts, until they closed the place down. *sigh* But it's probably a mistake to try to do a direct comparison with anything else.

You can make up the money you lose on individual bike flips by increasing your sales volume.
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Just to clarify for the OP:

Zumkopf is, I think, under the impression that you're talking about a Raleigh Record, which was usually Raleigh's lowest-level 10-speed. Occasionally it was the second-to-lowest model.

3alarmer is talking about the Record Ace, which came and went in Raleigh's lineup over the years but was always a few tiers above the Record. It's closer to the Supercourse, Grand Sport, and maybe the International in quality than to the Record.
Yes, I understand the Record Ace was one of those models Raleigh put out from time to time, like mentioned by 3alarmer. It has been harder to find information about their step-through model of the Record Ace. The derailleur on it is a Raleigh brand and the shifting is Sun Tour, which I think is a collaboration between the two companies at the time? I know this was in an era where Raleigh was doing a lot or replicating of Campy components. Hopefully, I am able to post pictures of it soon.