Old 06-23-22, 06:14 PM
Zumkopf

Bikes: '62 Schwinn Continental, '69 Schwinn Paramount, '74 Raleigh International, '75 Peugeot PX-10LE, '76 MKM Dominator, '80 Holdsworth Mistral, '81 Woodrup Giro Touring, '87 Bianchi Brava, '89 Schwinn (Waterford) Paramount, '94 Trek 1400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts
I could be wrong but I don't think so.

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Just to clarify for the OP:

Zumkopf is, I think, under the impression that you're talking about a Raleigh Record, which was usually Raleigh's lowest-level 10-speed. Occasionally it was the second-to-lowest model.

3alarmer is talking about the Record Ace, which came and went in Raleigh's lineup over the years but was always a few tiers above the Record. It's closer to the Supercourse, Grand Sport, and maybe the International in quality than to the Record.
Assuming the OP is correct as to the year, I'm correct as to my analysis. The 1979 catalog is available online. Here is the Technical Specs page. The Record Ace was one step below the Grand Prix, and over only the Rampar models. Steel rims, steel seatpost, vinyl-plastic seat. 20-30 steel frame. Weighs 30 lbs (the GP clocks in at 29 lbs).

My opinion is based on experience, not snobbery. I've literally been there. My very first serious bicycle was a 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, with cottered cranks, steel seatpost and rims, horrible saddle, plastic derailleur -- actually optioned a little worse than the '79 Record Ace. I loved that GP and rode it everywhere. It felt like... freedom.

But it's a big world and it moves fast and there's a ton more bicycles available on the used market. Take my MKM Dominator. Built by top British builders, 531DB throughout, great components (Dura-Ace except for Campy Record hubs, tubulars)... and listed for $100 on eBay, and even at that couldn't find a buyer. Ended up getting it for $50. And that wasn't a fluke -- I picked up two more over time, equally low-priced and market-scorned, fixed them up a bit, and gave them to son and his fiance. 21 - 22 lb bikes even with sizeable frames.

Were I starting from scratch I'd simply look for the cheapest decent condition Reynolds 531 double-butted lugged frame bike I could find in my size. I wouldn't worry too much about bike brand. 531 was expensive steel, so tended to be used exclusively on expensive bikes -- of good to excellent quality. And Reynolds 531 gives an excellent ride, confident and lively. There are lighter materials developed since, but at best save only a few pounds, and at the cost of ride quality. [Columbus made good tubing also. I would go Reynolds 531 mainly because it's an easy demarcator and was very popular in the top market through the 1980s.] Chances are a 531 frame will also have decent components, and even if it doesn't those can be changed out as funds permit. They can be found, with a little patience, for bargain prices.

That does assume that you can tolerate a men's frame, of which there are far, far more and better examples out there. If you insist on Ladies' or Mixte frames, choices are considerably fewer, and the Record might be one of the better ones for little money. There are better Mixte bikes out there, but they tend to command a price premium.