View Single Post
Old 02-26-24, 05:48 AM
MattoftheRocks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 24 Posts
Even if my commute was only a half mile, as a rule I don’t wear work clothes on the bike. Even/especially as a kid working at McDonalds.

My waterproof Ortlieb Daypack fits with some room a microfiber camping towel and my entire work outfit minus the shoes. I leave my shoes at work. I really want to leave my blazers there too, but that kinda seems like an invitation for Allstate’s Mayhem Murphy to mess them up. I never put food in the backpack, I always have a thick garbage bag to put my clothes into at the end of the day, so the Ortlieb just smells like clean clothes & plastic.

I currently have a locker I hang my riding clothes & soiled towel in and have a battery fan in there to circulate the moisture out, but I have at other jobs had to use my bike as the clothes hanger and at another I had a large plain corrugated cardboard box with tons of crumpled up paper towels in it to carefully lay-in & loose-roll my riding clothes to dry and I’d stash it in the supply closet. At the latter one I also just used a larger backpack or rarely took my touring bike and loaded a pannier with 6-7 days worth of clean work clothes in and stashed them in an unused cabinet in one garbage bag while also having another garbage bag I’ll have filled over the previous week or so with soiled work clothes to bring home so as to give myself several days of minimal/no cargo rides.

I primarily use merino clothes for riding so they’re not funky to wear in the evening even if I got a case of the zoomies and sprinted a few portions of the ride in.

I do sometimes lightly bend my rule about work clothes now that I’ve got a few pair of really boot-side-of-the-spectrum dress boots that can take a beating and then polish up easily in just a few minutes. When it’s chilly enough for jeans-looking riding pants, the boots get worn the whole day, but I’ve had to put shearling insoles in them all to stay dry footed.