View Single Post
Old 03-18-22, 12:01 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
This is interesting. I think the first thing we have to do, freshman dorm style, is define our terms: rest and exercise. I'll start by asserting that these are antonyms: if you're resting you're not exercising. So what's exercise? I'd say anything that raises your HR for a substantial length of time or can cause muscle damage. Rest then is not exercising. It could be weeding your garden, vacuuming the floor, that sort of thing, but not climbing 10 flights of stairs in your office building. That's still a little fuzzy, but maybe that will do. That done, I would say that we should differentiate easy days from rest days. On rest days, we do nothing. On easy days we might go for a long brisk walk or spend some zone 1 time on our bikes, and that's still exercise.

If we can agree on the above, then obviously we do not exercise on rest days. .
Agree with the above. Definitely I was not thinking about strenuous activities during days termed "rest". But some low-key activity seems beneficial as compared to completely sedentary Walking, a short bicycle commute (mine is 3 miles RT, and I maybe ride it at 10-12 mph), garden work, etc.