Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I've overtorqued a seatpost clamp until it broke, and a stem until it stripped. Those cost about as much to replace as a couple of inexpensive torque wrenches.

I've also undertorqued a crank a couple of times. Caught it before it damaged the crank, thank goodness -- have you priced a new crank lately!?!
I don't know if you are one of them, but I've known many that do seem to think they have to tighten everything with all their might. And that does frequently result in broken bolts or stripped threads.

If one has no clue when they've tightened the thing just enough and instead continue till they've damaged something, then I'll agree that they probably need torque wrenches. However for those that don't think that every bolt or nut needs to be super tight, then a torque wrench on a bicycle isn't needed. Even for carbon stuff.

There is no shame in using a torque wrench. So any that are unsure or inexperienced at sensing when things are tight enough should use one if it helps them. This should not be something where one is wrong for using or not using them.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-16-22 at 07:56 AM.
Likes For Iride01: