Old 06-30-22, 06:20 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
An electrical engineer wouldn't understand

I'm obviously extrapolating on real world design results from recognized material properties; strength and rigidity.
Certainly you know CF's advantage is in strength to weight ratio and rigidity - it barely flexes at all, even it it's curved.
By "real world design results", I'll assume that this means "what I read in the manufacturer's advertising".

The difference between a straight fork and a raked fork is nearly zero. The one significant difference is that the raked fork will be longer, and if all else is identical, it will be more flexible.

Just to be clear, strength of a material is not relevant to stiffness.
Also, to be clear, stiffness of a material is not relevant to strength.
Since we are talking about the differences between straight and raked forks, the discussion assumes the same material, the same cross section, and wall thickness is used.
The cross section, both size and shape, and wall thickness used in the fork blades are the big variables in fork design, since there is very little variation in the fork blade length for a given wheel size.
There is an argument that most flex occurs in the steerer tube, and not in the fork blades themselves. Could be.. I haven't seen any data on it, though.

As for "dampening", that is a measure of the wetness. I'll assume you are referring to damping, which is a measure of the energy loss on each oscillation or vibration cycle. Steel absorbs no significant amount of energy in a cycle. Carbon fiber doesn't absorb much more.. at least based on some tests I ran on a CF vs steel fork, where I tapped them like a tuning fork and measured the vibration with an accelerometer. When we ride bikes and hit a bump, the oscillation stops in a cycle, and the energy gets absorbed mostly in our bodies, and presumably a bit in the tire.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy: