Old 01-13-22, 05:33 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
I signed the petition. My son was injured when the front wheel came off a big box budget bike a few days after we bought it. I know, I should have checked everything but was not a bike person in those days. So yeah, I'd say WalMart "builds" bikes, or perhaps assembles bikes that are manufactured elsewhere.
And you're the EXACT PERFECT example of the problem. I'm sorry to hear this happened. But again, why should you feel obligated to "check everything" on your purchase? Sure, it would be prudent as a bike person, but not in any way expected. Say you had checked the handlebars and front wheel and pedals, but failed to check the rear wheel and your son crashed? Would you blame yourself then? Or if the rear derailleur shifted into the spokes and you failed to check THAT? Of course not!

You shouldn't have felt bad then. No consumer should feel compelled to "check everything" on a product before using it. Did you check your stereo's power amplifier before turning it on? No. Does the car buyer check all the wheels before driving off the lot? Of course not!

(And no, I am NOT relieving the consumer of common sense, all responsibility, or the need to be familiar with the product their using and to be able to judge if they can use it safely. Nor am I relieving them of responsibility of having their stuff checked after a crash or mishap or other misadventure. But when a product is presented to the consumer, it should be safe to use as intended, that's all.)

So this is why this campaign makes so much sense.
Likes For LV2TNDM: