View Single Post
Old 06-17-22, 02:37 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
Yes, I release my Vainqueur C-pulls by popping out one end of the straddle, but it's not what I'd call easy.

I have modified the brake, widening the slit that the cable has to pass through to get out, in the direction that makes it easier. Hard to explain but you'll see what I mean when you try it. I used a needle file, slow going but I did it ~40 years ago and have reaped the benefits ever since...

Maybe I made the brake less safe, like the cable could pop out unexpectedly? Not really, it only needs a little positive retention and the design as delivered is way over-constrained. The metal I removed is not in the load path at all so I didn't weaken it.

I did that filing on only one of my two bikes with Vainqueurs, but I still pop the cable out to release the brake on the other one. Still do-able, just a bit harder. Easier with some sort of metal tool like a screwdriver, allen wrench or tire lever, but possible with nothing but fingers. You have to hold the pads to the rim with your other hand to make some slack.

Racers, Raids etc are WAY easier.

Mark B
You must've been writing this as I was in the basement seeing how it might work- and apparently it does! Was also thinking a little filing away would help, maybe a little bit of grease on the round slug on the end, too. I suppose the outside width of the rims is a factor too, as far as if the calipers can be squeezed tight enough to pop the straddle end out... I wish I just had another set of Raids for this build, but the Weinmanns were in a box of free stuff, and Raids on eBay and elsewhere seem to be commanding upward of $100 now!
Likes For ehcoplex: