Old 07-18-22, 03:43 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Inexpensive Puller For Crank Arm Stripped Threads

About a year and a half ago I had a problem with an almost NOS crank arm that had been tapped oversize at the factory. Instead of 22mm x 1.0 the threads were about 22.5mm x 1.0. My Shimano puller came right out along with the tops of the threads. My 23mm x 1.0 TA puller was to big!

Came up with an inexpensive solution! An automotive Pitman Arm Puller used for steering linkage repairs. They come in 2 sizes... You want the smaller size. You can find them at auto parts stores in the US and online for about $15-$16.

I modified it a little on a bench grinder to fit over the crank arm and into the space between the BB cup. Ground a taper on the puller screw to fit into the square taper hole - the dimensions are shown below.

I picked up 2 different size 1/8" thick hardened steel washers at a local Ace Hardware for different brand cranks. Cut the slots with and 1/8" thick cut off grinding wheel using an angle grinder. They prevent damage to the arm.

Worked perfect! No scratches or dings. The arm came right off!

cudak888 Much simpler than the 2 or 3 arm bearing pullers which will kluge up crank arms!

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 07-18-22 at 04:12 AM.
Likes For verktyg: