View Single Post
Old 11-26-16, 05:12 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Otis
The one in the photo is a first year, 1973. I had an identical one. Color is pearl white.
C. Harding's Westwood Cyclery had two on the rack in 1973. The drilled crank arms surprised the heck out of me.
The other parts not so much.
There were guys who saw that and did various versions of that. One fellow I raced against did his own and was DNF about 10 feet from the starting line in one race as it let go. We were both racing the next age bracket as there was no race for our category. 1975 Long Beach Grand Prix, on the Original Formula 1 course, lots of fun. Found myself off the front as I was just having fun carving turns with a bike that had an 11" high bottom bracket and 167.5 cranks.
Took the first lap prime as I was way off the front, then fell back as we had 8 laps to go ( race shortened as we got off late) was really bummed when we came around again and they announced 3 laps to go! Had I known that I would have tried to stay away and at least gather up another prime or two... Best case I would have been out of sight, out of mind... So it goes.