Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,385 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I'll read the articles when I find the time, thanks for them.

I've been following a program (similar to Stronglifts 5x5) for about 6 months, and eating to build muscle. Obvious results. Beth is very happy. My cycling VO2max has fallen by 9 ml/kg/min because lifting has taken time away from cycling. But I've been doing it with the goal to build muscle, not simply to be a more rounded individual, which would require less time investment.
When mama's happy, everyone's happy. The last couple years, I've been doing basic bodybuilding work until Jan. 1. Then I switch to a Norwegian pre-comp cycling program with less time in the gym but the same workout twice a week. Then April 1, I switch to fewer workouts, sets, and reps and only 1/week and do that until August. Then I start up again in October.

My bodybuilding workouts are 4 X 12, then 3 X 10, each exercise to failure on the last set, but since I only do each exercise once/week, that works. 1 minute between sets. A Norwegian study found that using powerlifting timing and taking 3-5 minutes between sets resulted in both increased weights and injuries. With the Norwegian programs I have a lighter day, not to max, and a failure day. Though I don't actually fail my squats! I just take it to where I'd fail the next one.