Old 12-23-20, 10:23 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Colnago super unknown year saved from life of mediocrity

While hunting parts I came across a listing on CL for a "Women's Italian racing bike". It had only one horrible photo of non-drive side with bad lighting (could not even determine color) and focus. I could only make out the large white and black Colnago decals which pointed to an earlier model, but that was all I could tell. It was definitely a small frame, listed as 51-53cm; but I could tell it was 51cm or smaller. If it didn't have the decals still on it I would have (and almost did!) passed it by upon seeing the rear rack and foam rubber on the handlebar; it is only missing spoke reflectors, spoke and chain guards!. The owner did not have the bike on hand, but brought it to a bike shop who was selling it for her. Contacted the shop and they were not very familiar with the bike, but after asking some specifics to ensure it was not fake I found out that it was an authentic "Super" frame with a mishmash of non-original (if originally bought as complete bike) '80s parts rolling on new rims and hubs. Essentially bought it unseen except for the poor photo.

Although dirty and dusty, this frame turned out to be in excellent condition with essentially no rust (light rust/oxidation on components; owner lived near ocean for decades) and only a couple paint chips. It would be odd to build this bike up with parts it has, but who knows what it went through during its past life; owner (possibly only the second owner) had it for some 30 years or more. Basing from experience and other examples I figure this to be from 1977-1980. My other "Super" frame circa 1976 is nearly identical in construction except for the chainstay "bridge" being a few mm's closer to the BB shell on this newer frame. I would assume chainstay length to be the same (have not measired) even though on a smaller frame. All other features match my early frame (except decals) before changes made in the early '80s: stay caps, Colnago stamped into chainstay, BB shell cutout/stamp, chain stay bridge style, etc.

Columbus "SL" frame, 48.5cm (c-c)/50cm (c-t) seat tube and 53cm (c-c) top tube; 3ttt stem (60mm); 3ttt bar "Mod. Gran Prix"; Campy "Record" seat post (27.2mm, 2 bolt with non-factory flutes and Colnago "C/clubs" logo pantogragh) and Campy clamp bolt; Shimano 600EX/arabesque headset; Campy "Super Record" shifters; Campy "Super Record" cranks (165mm date codes "0" non-drive, and "3" drive; both in circles, 1980 and 1983) with "Super Record" 52T ring (with "COLNAGO" pantographs), and OFMEGA 44T ring; Campy "Gran Sport" pedals (missing dust caps); Campy "Gran Sport" brakeset; Campy "Triomphe" front derailleur (I believe?); Campy "Athena" (I believe?) rear derailleur. Sun Tour 6 speed freewheel, Campy "Record" BB, and new Wienmann LP18 rims with new 25mm tires.

If you have Colnago "Super" with the same decals and know it's year of manufacture/model year please comment here so I can better date this frame. I would put a Campy "Record" group on it for restoration correctness, but since I'm doing that with my '75, I will just make this a better version of what it is now, of course removing rack and putting on proper bar tape, already have a Mavic rim/Campy "Record" wheel set built.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20201222_122213.jpg (1.98 MB, 409 views)
20201222_120636.jpg (1.86 MB, 405 views)
20201222_124448.jpg (1.50 MB, 393 views)
20201222_124104.jpg (1.48 MB, 391 views)
20201222_121301.jpg (1.30 MB, 388 views)

Last edited by HPL; 12-27-20 at 12:33 PM.