Old 12-28-20, 07:12 PM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Update on the green Super. I was planning on contacting the previous owner and ask some specifics about the bike since we never met, but she contacted me today and said she found the original toe cages and straps that essentially had my been unused and wanted to know if I wanted them; yes, of course. I then asked her if she was the original owner, year when she came into possession of it (whether new or used), and if it had ever been painted. She knew she had gotten it after graduating from college and getting married in 1981, so latter 1981 at the earliest and no later than 1983 by her accounts. It was bought new as frameset only; her now ex-husband bought it and "ordered part, by part, and had it put together for me. Nothing was used"; her words exactly. She actually told me that she would try to find her ex's number to call and find out more. It has never been repainted or had decals replaced. She knows some parts have been changed, but other than the wheels and saddle she is not sure. It may have had a Campy "Gran Sport/Nouvo Gran Sport" full or partial group since it still has pedals and brakeset from that group. The other components span a wide range of years from the late '70s (arabesque headset) to the early '90s (Athena derailleur); excepting the fairly modern wheels and saddle. If brakes and pedals are original then this bike has not been crashed; brake lever blades are nearly unmarked and pedal cages are not bent or badly scraped up.

From a supposed 1983 Colnago catalog was I able to discern "COLNAGO" stamped into the chainstay, chainstay bridge was different, and bottom cable routing on the BB shell. Fork, head lugs, decals looked the same. Chromed drive stay and fork/crown in '83 photo.

I figure '70s are out of the picture, but it could have been an old stock frame from 1980 (nobody wanted a no chrome frameset?), or possibly up to an '82 model before features changed by 1983. I do not know when the chainstay stamping was added, or when the chainstay bridge was altered. I now assume '81-'82 based on the decal match to '83, which also fits properly with her recollections.

Now that I have had a chance to think about this bike I have decided to go green and yellow color scheme. I have, if they are with my on hand parts: Modolo gold anodized brakeset, black Hoskar saddle with yellow Colnago embroidery, yellow toe straps (needed), yellow bar tape, yellow bottle cage (needed, or paint one), green bottle (needed), and repaint chain ring and seat post pantographs yellow and green.

If I find out anymore information about this frame I will update this post, and if I get to it add a finished photo (which I rarely seem to do).

My only questions are does anyone have a known '81 or '82 model that uses those same decals? And if so, is the chainstay stamped with Colnago or not, and is the chainstay bridge tubular or hourglass shaped? Do the shift cables run above or below the BB?

Thanks again!

Last edited by HPL; 12-28-20 at 07:22 PM.