View Single Post
Old 03-06-24, 08:31 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Deontologist
Yes, it's a Canyon VCLS carbon seatpost, definitely full carbon all the way through.
If that's the case, I don't think the carbon has been damaged; Zooming way in, it appears the carbon was coated with something to shield it against UV light, which can damage the resin that bonds the carbon fibers, and that coating has been scratched off in those areas, but not worse. Or the coating was applied as "armor" for the carbon fiber. If that area is normally covered by the seat tube, no worries. If that area is exposed to sunlight, probably also not a problem, but if any worries, find out what would be safe to recoat the area, and just dip a toothpick in it to carefully dab over the scratches. You don't want any coating there to be thicker than the surrounding factory coating, and unfortunately, you cannot sand it flush after drying. Black nail polish, using a toothpick, might be good, but you need to check that its solvent is not damaging to the carbon fiber resin. You can often find that by looking up the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) or Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for the material; I just looked up the SDS for White Lighting Chain lube, and it said heptane, but didn't list the actual lube. (Car touchup paint has skyrocketed in price, but brand-x cheap nail polish is still low cost, and I use it for bike touchups, mixing colors if necessary. They even have matte black if you look for it.)