Old 01-02-22, 04:18 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I don't think any non-1x style rear derailleur supports more than 42t cassettes. For total range with a derailleur you still can't beat a triple... Look instead to the front where you can install a much smaller inner ring (like a 22t)
Seems like triple chain-rings and 9-speed drive-trains are both out of fashion

Even a few years ago, it was hard to find a replacement 9-speed crank-set, and I started to realise that this bike may have an expiration date.

There are a few online guides to pairing an 11-42 cassette with an 11-speed double crank-set. Short of spending an extra few thousand dollars for a Pinion gearbox and a suitable frame, that may be my best option. Hopefully someone can suggest better options.

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I'm sorry your current bike has trouble with racks. It seems like it shouldn't. A trailer hitch is simple, it just goes on the skewer right under the quick release lever
I think it's because this was just built in the early days of disc-brakes, the rear brakes stick out from the frame, so I need the "extender" nubs at the bottom of the pannier rack, and with those, and where the bolt-hole are, it's just too many things competing for the same space. If I take off the pannier rack, then there's room for a trailer, but the frame won't deal with both of them at the same time. IIRC there are also some trailers that clamp to the back of the chain-stay, but the location and size of the pannier rack's attachments get in the way of those, too.