Old 09-06-20, 12:03 AM
ErikDaGenErik

Bikes: Specialized Venge S-Works, Giant Contend AR 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Crashed my bike. Need help figuring out what happened and how to regain confidence.

I have a 2018 S-Works Tarmac with FLO 60’s, Turbo Cotton 700x24 clinchers. Like to climb, love to descend. On 8/12/20 I was going down Tesla Road, a step road near my home, at 40mph (64kph) according to Wahoo when all of a sudden I heard a loud pop from the front tire. Sure enough the tube blew. I instantly hit the brakes but saw my flattened tire begin to wobble. I lost control, fell on my left, separated from the bike as I and the bike tumbled several times. Though I had number cuts and bruises, I was able to walk away. In fact, there was zero cell service and I was really lucky that a kind passerby offered me a ride 11 miles back home, which I accepted.

I checked out my tube a few days later and saw a slit about a cm long. No visual damage to the tire. The tube was 20 days old, the tire was 6. I can’t figure out how something like this could happen. I was on a descent on a portion of a road that seemed normal. I pumped air to 110psi before the ride. I’ve taken the bike down similar hills with similar or higher speeds plenty of times before the crash. Was this just bad luck? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I ride literally everyday, and I after the accident, I hopped back into the saddle of my other bike the following day - I took it lightly but wanted to make sure nothing was wrong with me despite the injuries. I’m beginning to do more climbs and descents, but while going down, I can’t help but to envision my tire blowing again. To regain some confidence, some friends recommended I go tubeless which could help reduce the chances of losing control after a tire blowout. Others believe I may have overinflated my tire that day considering the weather (it was mid 90s that day). Any suggestions on helping cope with my paranoia would be appreciated.

I was shocked that I had minimal damage to my bike. Scratched seat, damaged front wheel (from rolling while flat), bent skewer on the rear wheel from the tumble, and scratches on both of the shifter name plates. I replaced the wheels, tires and tubes.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited by ErikDaGenErik; 09-06-20 at 12:07 AM.