View Single Post
Old 02-22-21, 12:06 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,061 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I did not understand it was hydraulic controlled from the handlebar. I thought height was controlled from a lever on the seat post.
There were levers on seatposts years ago. Now, most have a thumb lever on the bar. My mtb has a small thumb lever that uses a standard Shimano shift cable to actuate the post. The cable is run internal through the frame and connects to the bottom of the post inside the seat tube so there has to be enough slack in the cable to pull the post out to attach the cable.

I think Rockshox has the hydraulic control model, supposed to be more reliable in muddy conditions.

Mine only drops 125mm but it seems enough for me. Some drop 200mm but XC pro racers use 80 or 85mm posts. They say it takes too much energy to drop more than that and then raise it back up and some of them don't use a dropper at all. XC courses aren't super technical yet.

Most are able to stop in any position within their range but some only have 3 positions.

When I lower the saddle on a road descent my mtb feels more like a motorcycle since I am no longer so high in the air.
Likes For big john: