Old 01-27-22, 07:46 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
I'm looking at 25-26mm tires. I was about to pull the trigger on Gravelking slicks but then thought about GP5000s. I haven't tried the 5000s but learned to be careful with my favorite clincher GP4000. Are the sidewalls on the 5000s as durable as the GK? Most all my miles are road rides but I'm doing EroicaCA and my 85 Ironman needs new tires any way. I'd prefer the Continentals for the nice ride and high mileage but concerned about sidewall cuts. Maybe the GK are no better in that regard?
Lord, there are 4 completely different constructions of the GP5000, so no answer is going to be accurate without specifying the casing design.

I have used the original GP5000 TL with the 60TPI casing, and its pretty tough. It rides as good as the OG tubed version, but has more rubber on the sidewalls, and the tire is harder to tear. As I recall, the newer models both have 3 layers on the side (and 2 on tread) which is the opposite of what they original GP5000 had.

Gatorskins are old technology - the new (and rather outdated) version is the GP 4-season. Decent ride, amazing durability. I think anything in that size is gonna be vulnerable to sidewall cuts, but a low TPI is gonna help.