aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I mean, you can do whatever you want. Keep in mind that 80/20 has to do with workouts, though, and not a specific amount of time or something.

But anyways, that's not why people claim it doesn't work.

It doesn't work (as well, and the very talented will improve off of anything) because it neglects a whole lot of workouts that build both general and specific cycling fitness. Take a look at that chart again and note the adaptions that take place specifically in that zone that he suggests staying away from.

At the end of the day, you can make things as simple or complicated as you want. Your body reacts to a stimulus and you keep changing that stimulus to keep the body adapting. There are many ways to do that, but cutting out a big middle chunk of intensity doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I'm doing a traditional periodized plan right now through TrainerRoad. I'm new to training so probably more open minded than someone who has had great success with other methods. I get it.

80/20 is absolutely about time spent. The entire premise is that you spend 80% or your time doing low intensity and 20% of your time doing high intensity. You really have to dig deep into the research to even find their interval/workout descriptions. It's all based on time. Here's a video of a talk given by Dr. Seiler, he mentions time/length of training throughout.

Again, I'm doing it one way...probably just like you are(and most on here it seems). And this is reading more for my own curiosity and certainly not meant to insult any other training ideas. I am enjoying their theoretical research because it's interesting.

I will never amount to anything (cat 2 or cat 1 or win races, or have great results I'm pack fodder no matter what cat I'm in there's a certain calmness to being normal and average that I enjoy) so I'm probably more apt to look at different approaches because the stakes aren't as high for me personally.

Look at what chart? Seiler and Coggan are at odds with each other. Coggan's chart supports his training ideas, and Seiler uses other methods to support his training ideas.

Last edited by aplcr0331; 01-12-18 at 04:18 PM.