View Single Post
Old 05-31-19, 06:45 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by honcho
She was tried and convicted. She was stripped of her post as a bishop. She is an alcoholic and a convicted killer. She served time unlike many killers of cyclists. More prison time isn't going to bring back her victim and is unlikely to assuage the grief of the victim's family and friends. I don't know if she served enough time in prison or not but continued incarceration for her is probably an unwise use of community resource to deter future drunk driving and cyclist deaths by drunk drivers.
There is underlying this, the unanswered question of "Why prison?"

Punishment, rehab, sequestration?

I'd say, she willfully took a human life and deserves punishment. Whether or nto this deters anyone else int he future is not really the point---some sense of justice must be maintained. When rich people get out of prison by paying fines and poor people doing exactly the same crime do jail time, the issue isn't what's most cost-effective for society---the issue is that the plain injustice causes outrage and shows the system to be unfair. While it might save dollars today, it leads to a perception that the system is rigged, which cause greater disrespect for laws, lawmakers and worst of all LEOs.

So ... yeah, she did some jail time which is rare for a cyclist-killer ... but the fact that it is rare points up the problem.

Rehab? I'd say she is set in her ways.

Sequestration? Valid, IMO. The fact that she will never get a driver's license will not stop her from drinking and driving ....