Old 07-28-20, 04:19 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Sodium hydroxide (lye; NaOH) will also work to strip anodizing and at least you know what it is, compared to oven cleaner, which who knows. Use like 10% w/v solution. It gets hot when you dissolve it. BE CAREFUL AND WEAR SAFETY GLASSES; IT WILL EAT YOUR EYES. You can get it on your skin for a few seconds before the burn starts.. Neutralize it with vinegar and you can pour it all down the sink, as it's nothing more than harmless sodium acetate, which is found in potato chips, and some aluminum oxide, which is found everywhere aluminum is found.

I work in a biochemistry lab and do this somewhat often. The finish it leaves will be easier to polish than if you abrasively remove the anodizing. If I decide to use abrasive to remove anodizing, I do that with a scotch brite wheel. One reason to go for abrasive is if the original has a clear-coat over it.

Unfortunately, no matter what you do, you'll probably end up having to remove all the anodizing if you want to polish out those little dings, and then you'll lose the Campy logo. I'd leave them as-is, or maybe try a light rubbing with Mothers polish as mentioned earlier. It might make the dings less visible and won't remove the anodizing unless you work at it for hours.