View Single Post
Old 02-20-21, 09:33 AM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
My wife and I are spending four months in Tucson in an AirBnB this winter. The road cycling here is the main reason we're here. I've ridden to Summerhaven (Mt Lemmon) four times so far (75 RT miles from our house) and plan on going again on Monday. Today I'm car-shuttling my wife down to the DeAnza Trail near Tubac and riding the 50 miles back. Last weekend I rode the 75 miles RT out to Oracle to pay homage to Edward Abbey, who's buried in a unmarked grave somewhere near there. I've been averaging over 150 miles/week on day rides like that. A few years ago we rode a short multi-day loop tour from here to Kartchner Caverns, Patagonia, and Nogales. I ride The Loop at least once a week (the wife and I did it yesterday), with some variations out to Colossal Caverns, or the San Xavier del Bac Mission, for some 70 and 80 mile days. The 50 mile loop out Gates Pass Rd, through Saguaro NP, and back on Picture Rocks Road is fantastic. The only complaints I have are the condition of the pavement on many of the roads, and the amount of litter.

A nephew who lives here is luke-warm on the mountain biking. He moved here from Albuquerque, and misses the trails around there. He says the trails here are crowded, and not as interesting as he prefers. That's just one guy's opinion.
4 months!! Nice place to be for winter. Did you rent a house, small apt? The prices were all over the place when I was looking earlier this year. Currently the Texas cold has moved eastward and we have some icy cold conditions here. It has been 5 days since I rode last and doubt I'll be riding anytime soon, tonights lows are predicted to be in the teens, ugh! If I ride studs will be needed.
Thanks for the tips, I hope to spend a chunk of next winter out there.