View Single Post
Old 07-08-21, 12:28 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 470 Posts
I feel guilty now after my stage 8 post, Pogs performance was jaw dropping. I was reading r e d d i t and a user posted this comment, which I agree with. I'm very mercurial when it comes to Pog, I really like him as a rider. It's just that in both tours so far there has been a moment of incredible, out of this world performance. LBL was good, but not "reel back a five minute deficit good". Same at least year's final TT. Not only me, but Tom Dom and Wout just staring at the timing.

So yeah, um, back to racing and enough from me about this eh?

User "numberonealcove" posted:
Honestly, what do cycling journalists and cycling fans want from the guy, other than to be less good than he is? His life would be easier if he wasn't so excellent — if he was ****tier at riding bikes fast. If he denies doping, well that's what Armstrong used to say too. If he points to the number of times he's been tested, that's a lame dodge, and again, Armstrong. If he recognizes — rightly — that there is no way for him to win these rhetorical games and refuses to answer questions, then he's truculent, defensive, and is clearly hiding something. In other words: Armstrong. These are the options available to him. Each worse than the last. The way out of this cesspool of a situation, it seems to me, is for journos and fans to recognize there is a testing regime and therapeutic use exemption rules in place. As long as a rider stays on the right side of those rules, shut up about doping. If you believe the rules are too lax, then advocate to strengthen the rules. All other issues besides are essentially unknowable. And therefore we should pass over them in silence, as we are speaking from ignorance. Don't **** on this kid from a height because you have a vague feeling in your bones that the sport is unfair. It's so hard to love this sport at times. Cycling fandom primes you to prefer mediocrity over excellence. We love to scrunch up our faces and wag our fingers at wrong-doers, like common scolds. That's the really sport for many of us — competitive moral superiority.
Honestly what's the difference between Ineos huge money and buying out the competition vs ... ?