View Single Post
Old 11-04-21, 09:26 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I think a lot of it would come down to individual users and what they mostly use the internet for. If for social media and e-mail, monochrome should be fine. For some of my tours where there were published guidebooks, I carried the books. But with a low power phone and black and white screen, I can see how an electronic version of the guidebook could come in handy. Bike tours, I do not read novels, but some do, for them an electronic version of a book could be useful on a black and white phone screen.

Some people have ditched their cameras and now use a phone as their camera, they would probably want color. (With the possible exception of Happy Feet and his experiments with black and white photos.) I am not a trained meteorologist, but I have looked at enough weather maps that I have gotten comfortable with assessing what they might mean for wind and precip, along with a good weather forecast. For that, I would need color. And on a bike tour, 90 percent of my internet time is spent on weather.

If you are using the phone as your GPS, it probably would be down to the individual user, some would be happy with black and white. That said, I am continuing to use a stand alone GPS unit, not using my phone for that purpose and I do not expect to change. For biking and canoeing, I switched to color screen GPS units about five years ago, I am not sure if I will keep using black and white GPS when kayaking or not, the black and white ones have generally worked well for me on a kayak.